One of the most popular appliance finishes is stainless steel. It can be a very classy look, but sometimes it can seem daunting to clean all of the fingerprints, especially if you have little kids. When you need to clean your stainless steel appliances there are a couple things to consider.
1. Use a cleaner made specifically for stainless steel and a soft microfiber cleaning cloth. DO NOT just use regular water and a paper towel. There can be minerals in your water that can harm the stainless steel and the paper towel fibers can get trapped in the grain.
2. NEVER use steel wool, steel brushes or other metal cleaning pads. Metal against metal will scratch your appliances leaving you with a not so pretty finish. This will also leave small carbon remnants that can be left in the steel which will leave a rusty looking finish which is not what you want.
3. Always wipe with the direction of the “grain” of the stainless steel. If you look at the material you will be able to see if the striations in the stainless goes horizontal or vertical, whichever way they go that is the direction you want to wipe. This helps clean deep into the microscopic grooves where oxidation happens.
4. Be careful about the cleaner that you use. Some cleaners leave a “greasy” film on the product and can be harmful to the environment. While some cleaners, such as Ecosential by Smart Choice, are formulated to clean while still being eco-friendly.
5. Pay attention to stainless steel handles. Sometimes the grime can stick to these areas the most. It might be best to take off the handles to get the sparkly shine. You should also wipe the area around where the knobs are as dirt and grime get trapped in these areas.
6. Don’t forget about the hood. If not careful, the hoods can buildup grease and dust very fast in those hard to reach areas. Make sure to get a ladder and wipe down these areas to get the perfect stainless steel look.
Stainless steel does require more cleaning, but with a little elbow grease it can stay beautiful just like it was brand new. Once you have these tips in your head and clean every few weeks, you will be so happy that you picked stainless steel appliances in your kitchen.