Black-eyed peas have long been a traditional New Year’s favorite. This hearty and delicious soup is a great way to warm up this winter!
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound pork sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups water
- 3 15-oz. cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chili peppers (like RO*TEL), undrained
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ tsp. garlic salt
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 4-oz. Can chopped green chilies
- 4 tsp. Molasses
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- ¼ tsp. Ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
In a large Dutch oven, cook and stir the pork sausage and ground beef with the onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink, 10 to 12 minutes; drain off excess fat. Pour in the water, and stir in black-eyed peas, diced tomatoes, tomatoes with green chili, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, salt, canned green chilies, molasses, beef bouillon cubes, black pepper, and cumin until thoroughly mixed.
Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
Prep time: 15 mins. Cook time: 1 hr. Serves 8.